Saturday, October 23, 2010

Door-Desk Project

If you have been over to my place in the past, hmm, 4 months, you will have noticed two doors in my spare room. Two random doors-laying against the wall-doing nothing. I have always told my husband (DH) how much I would love to make a table out of doors. It has been done before on many of my favorite crafty blogs, and it looks so great when completed. When I got back from India this summer, one of the many surprises my DH (deer hunter) had for me was this pair of doors. All I needed to do was come up with a plan (and spare time-who has that anymore?) then assemble two tables. Well, I have done my research and come up with a plan. However, this plan has many steps. First, I need to go to home depot for metal table-legs. I've already narrowed down which table-legs I want, but it's a matter of getting over there and buying them. (So much easier said than done-again, spare time anyone?) Then I need to order a glass top measured exactly for the doors' length and width. I found several online companies, but they want to charge me an arm and a leg for manufacturing and shipping. So I have to find a local framing shop who can do this for me. Then, DH can assemble the entire table.

This may take me a while longer to get all the parts and pieces collected. In the meantime, I decided to get resourceful. We had a spare table in this room for a while. I took off the adjustable wings and laid one of the doors on top of it. The other door in behind the table (covering all the computer cords). Since these doors are about 50 pounds each, the weight holds it steady. I also reinforced it with my heavy crafting boxes in the center (DH knows this-those boxes are heavy!). Viola! We have a temporary door-desk.




2 comments:

Becca said...

FABULOUS!!!!!! Hannah can you change the way we make comments so I can comment as Becca and not Fellows. You can offer the option of username and http: website address. I miss you!!! I love the desk and your room is so bright and clean and ready to create in!

Melanie said...

it looks good girl. I really like it!!!