Sunday, October 31, 2010

Door-Desk Project: Complete!



I think we did it. I think we completed our door-desk project! These doors have been in our apartment since early August, and now, finally, we are done!

This last weekend, I went over to Lowes and found replaceable banquet table legs. Then in one evening, DH and I assembled both tables! The plan from the beginning was to also add glass tops to these. Well, after I got one outrageous quote, I was given another local company to seek out. However, now that we have reached this point in the project and discovered that we don't absolutely need the glass tops (yet), we are going to call it complete. At least for now. That is just how DH and I handle things-if it isn't a dire need, don't bother. So for now, we aren't going to bother.

I should add this note: These two awesome (and sturdy) tables cost us a total of $40! The doors were free (by someone's trash... we are not above that), and a package of two replacement banquet table legs cost $20 from Lowes (x2=$40). Note that if you are going to try this project, make sure of two things...

1. Use screws that aren't longer than the width of the portion of the door you are screwing through. If you don't you could have many little sharp screws poking through your table.

2. Make sure that wherever you assemble these doors you can get the doors out of the room once completed! This is why we chose to use the collapsable table legs-we didn't want to have to disassemble the tables if we were ever to move.

My advice is to get a guy to assemble these.



The entire room.



The side table with our web & print design and adobe-help books.



My side.



The Table


2 comments:

Unknown said...

The doors look FABULOUS guys! Success! Great job having the vision and following it through!! Love them! :)

Anonymous said...

Hannah - I love how your door to desk project turned out! I enjoyed reading your blog - I'm definitely going to steal the idea of turning weeds into a beautiful arrangement of flowers. Thanks for sharing!